Monday, April 2, 2007

How I Killed Writer's Block

As in my post, "How to Pull an All-Nighter," the important topic headings - The Writing Center and The Digital Recorder - are boldfaced for scanning.

I have always had terrible problems/anxiety writing papers. I have always HATED writing assignments because of it. No amount of boldface, italics, or increases in font size can possibly stress my feelings in the previous sentence enough. I was constantly putting off papers because of that awful dread.

Oh, sure - occasionally, I will have bursts of insight that I can type about for eons on end - but that typically isn't the norm. During an official IQ test I took in 2nd grade (part of the process for my diagnosis), the psychologist asked me to write something or other. Well...I didn't. Instead, I crawled under the table and cried about it for about ten minutes. That incident is far closer to my normal reaction to paper assignments. I have even neglected to write my assignments for a number of classes! Knowing all this, it's pretty ironic that I'm writing a blog... ;)

Two of my final semester's tools worked amazingly well together to reduce my writer's block, though; my college's writing center combined with my digital recorder.

There's a list of suggestions my sister found and passed on to me at the time (I will dig it out and edit it into this post later) that made a lot of sense - some of which I was already doing. Combining them made written assignments a breeze compared to the horrible struggles I went through before. My main problem was that I always had trouble getting my countless ideas from my head to the page. This list played a part in overcoming that.

Basically, what they suggested was to find someone you could talk to for 10-20 minutes about your paper immediately before typing; essentially, to get your mind into a state of thinking about the problem and generating ideas. With the right person asking leading questions, you could essentially verbalize an entire paper in well under an hour!

The Writing Center's role


I had been essentially doing this for years through my college's Writing Center, which was chock full of tutors who were trained to help you at any stage of your paper...from brainstorming, to structuring the paper, down to copy editing. I typically used them for brainstorming and some structure. It was GREAT! I found that I always generated tons of ideas while verbally talking about them! I never really needed structure or copy editing because I found that my papers typically flowed VERY smoothly once I was on a roll. My only snag was in brainstorming - alleviated by talking to a tutor trained to draw out my ideas.

...the problem was, by the time I got to the keyboard - even with notes from the session, written by the tutor - everything I had discussed with them was gone. Another irony with me - I don't remember jack squat orally, but when *I* write it down it's typically burned into my head...at least exactly what I wrote is. This is where the digital recorder played its key role.

The digital recorder's role

The digital recorder functioned as my memory of the session. It allowed me to - on demand - play back my conversation with the tutor. This meant that every idea that came to me out of discussion was preserved! I would simply carry my recorder with me when I went to type, and play back the entire conversation while typing.

The brilliant thing about my own digital recorder, the Olympus DM-10, is that during a recording you can set up to 16 'index marks' to skip to that particular point. Think of index marks as 'tracks' on a CD. It's amazing. I'd just hit the 'set index point' button on the recorder during the conversation (or class) and I could EASILY find that point again by clicking the fast forward/rewind button during playback. I used this to mark topic changes during my writing center sessions, which allowed me to play back ideas as often as I needed to while typing. Basically, this allowed me to relive the idea generation process that occured live.

If you have a digital recorder that doesn't have this function, bring some form of stopwatch instead(cell phones typically have one), synchronize the stopwatch with the start of the recording, and just write down the stopwatch time the topic of conversation switched.

This made my last semester SO much more bearable - and allowed me to function in a class that had 10 papers due as assignments, and without relying extensively on extensions! I NEVER would have done so well before combining those ideas. If you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to leave them!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This gave me great ideas that have really helped me, especialy with my essays. The digital recorder was actually a really great idea. Thanks for the tips.

Anonymous said...

Если кому интересно, лучший способ защитить кого-нибудь от шпионских жучков - использовать Подавители мобильных телефонов

thefreling said...

WOW. Thank you for posting that! I am exactly the same way about writing. Its absolute TORTURE! I have already figured out that one-on-one work with my campus tutoring center is my survival for getting through writing assignments, but I hadn't figured out a solution to remember what I was thinking in a moment and yeah, looking back at notes wasn't helpful. I'm going to have to try the digital recorder trick! I used to TRY to use one back in undergrad for lectures but I didn't have the patience to go back and listen to the tape (no digital then) and find the one 15 minute spot of the 2 hour lecture I missed. The tagging of topic changes is brilliant though and should definitely cut down on my impatience!! Thank you SO much.

Unknown said...

The digital recorder is definitely the way to go, but you can take it another level with a smart-pen. The one I have is a Livescribe Pulse; as you take notes on the 'dot paper' it scribes what you write to sync with what was being recorded at that time. Afterwards, you can tap a word you wrote with the pen, and playback begins from there. It's also a must have if you have issues processing auditory information, hearing it over again really helps it stick.