Friday, March 30, 2007

Why be diagnosed with ADD/HD?

As I've described the symptoms of ADD to many people, they've commented, "Hmmm, do you think I might have it?" Sometimes, it's hard to say. Many other people point out that the things that frustrate ADDers (people with ADD) to no end happen to everyone. True enough, but the frequency of misplacing keys, forgetting assignments, zoning out when people talk to you, mishearing people, and so on plays an important role. Generally, if these things happen often enough to be considered disabling (getting in the way), you might consider seeking a diagnosis.

If you're wondering if you have ADD, Dr. Daniel G. Amen has a self-assessment over on his website. I have linked to it on the sidebar. It's a detailed 72 question survey, but the results - and the questions themselves - may very easily shock you. It's definitely worth your time to look if you suspect that it might be possible.

ADD affects virtually EVERYTHING a person does. The list is astounding; it affects friendships, jobs/work, school, social aptitude, ability to hear people correctly...straight down to a person's sex life. The tools used to treat ADD are fantastic - the meds are a lifesaver. Basically, the meds work by allowing a person with ADD to 'flip a switch,' and give them a choice to whether or not they want to focus on something.

A pattern I've noticed in people with ADD (and I haven't seen these things on any assessment tests), is that they all, including me, tend to have 'noise' of some sort going on in their heads all the time. Examples of this noise are constant self-conversations or music/movie scenes playing as background - which shuts out other conversations. Medication quiets or sometimes virtually silences this inner noise - and the first time an ADDer experiences this, it can be quite unnerving. It is far, FAR easier to function, though, without the background.

In addition, since about '97 or '98, schools and colleges have been required by law to accomodate students with ADD/HD. Yes, required: ADD is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act, just like any other physical or mental disorder. One of the things this allows ADDers to get is time extensions on papers and tests. These are under a program called 504 accomodations, and I've been using them ever since middle school. More on 504 in a future post.

These reasons make getting a diagnosis from a licensed psychologist worth the time and money you would spend. Also, even if you were diagnosed before high school, you have to get re-diagnosed once you're 18 in order for colleges to accept your diagnosis. It will cost roughly $2000 (correct me if I'm wrong), but spread over 4 or more years - that's cheaper than a single class every semester, and it buys you legal protections from the worst consequences of screwing up.

1 comment:

Emote Broadband said...

OMFG
I have always been told that I have ADHD by buddies and family as a joke. But today I did a test and got a +90% rating for several kinds of ADD.

I'm not hyper in any way.

Seeing some peoples comments - strike a very deep chord with me.. things like constant inner conversations, persistent parallel trains of thought..
I've always called them BRAIN MOVIES and I dont know if theres anyone else who might describe it this way...but does anyone feel like their mind is a lens into the world in the same way a dragonflies eye sees everything in one go?

If I had to describe my mind it would be a constantly flying dragonfly's view of the world.

if this makes any sense, drop me a mail at ebrabazon--at--gmail--dot--com